PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2016, 14:26
EK77WNCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course we're at no risk of losing Spanish beach destinations (excluding Almeria and Murcia), Portugal, the Canaries and most of Greece BUT, it'll be places like Rome, Pisa, Krakow, Prague, Warsaw, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Nice, Split, Geneva, Barcelona, maybe Dublin etc. that get dropped or schedules cut. Which is a bloody shame because it seems like city routes were just becoming attractive from NCL(again?)

Of course, if/when Scotland goes independent, and when they devolve APD we can wave goodbye to 25% of our traffic at least, I'd say UA would go, EZY would give up, Jet2 would definitely stagnate/remove an aircraft or 2 and EK might start to struggle.

I can't see there being a need for NCL-BRU when we leave... Leisure travellers aren't going to pay £250 to fly Bmi direct, they'll fly with FR from EDI/MAN for £30. Bmir at NCL pretty much depends on us being in Europe. I don't know what passenger demographics are like on NCL-SVG? But I very much doubt they'd keep that as a standalone route, or even replace BRU.

Just as the regions were gaining a bit of traction I think this vote is going to have drastic, detrimental effects. After all it's not like the EU is going to make it an easy transition for us is it? I'm more worried about places like BHX and MAN, and to an extent (before they go independent) GLA and EDI. They've gained so much recently, they have a lot to lose

I hope I'm scaremongering and overreacting but I'm very worried and angry about this vote. I just hope people voted for the right reasons and it doesn't backfire.

Long_Final, I'm not sure if the "25 routes I'll never use" comment was directed at me, and I get where you're coming from but most of the routes I've mentioned I would use, and know people that would use them. For example, on Sunday I'm flying NCL-BRU-MXP, and 8 days later VCE-BRU-NCL. I was lucky to get affordable flights on Brussels Airlines/Bmi, a direct flight would have been much easier. In September, I'm flying NCL-DUS-MUC-PVG/PVG-FRA-DUS-NCL, again cheap flights, but NCL-FRA-PVG would have been much easier. Final example, Athens in January - Flying from Edinburgh. I know that's a more unlikely route but my point still stands, I'm sure Ryanair/easyjet could make some demand for it, as often happens with low cost airlines.... I've never thought of visiting Wroclaw, but I'm very tempted to now because of the direct flights starting.

R.e Vueling, NCL-LGW. I'd love to see that, more than FR, NCL-STN or EZY, NCL-LGW/STN. Would Vueling be eligible to have BA codeshare at LGW, I could see them onto a winner there. UNLESS, as you said SWBKCB, Thursday made them change their mind

I don't see Turkish a likelihood anymore either :/ I'd have thought they were next