PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC News report BA engineers to ballot for strike action
Old 26th Jul 2003, 20:08
cirrus01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Yeahbut........

Don't think I would come crying to you

Perhaps with your vast knowledge and experience gained over many, many years you would like to tell all of us what to do when all the aircraft are made serviceable ? Don't say "Read the manuals" ..........!!!! would have done this BEFORE any maintenance !!!

Your soultion of reduced numbers or a different shift system doesn't add up.

1....Reduce the numbers on shift.....OK then, What happens (which is more often than not ) when there is a large amount of work such as inbound defects , drop dead ADDs, in addition to the scheduled checks ??? ......... Result lots of U/S aircraft at the end of the Shift.

2 .....Different shift system..... OK then in Line Maintenance/ Casualty / Minor Checks the 4 ON 4 OFF uses the least amount of people to man. Any other combination to cover 24 Hours 7 Days a week will need more personnel .

My point is that a maintenance operation is not like a production line in a Factory where a set amount of work can be easily divided up between Manhours . Aircraft maintenance by it nature has a "Peak and Trough" pattern which is largely catered for by the flexibility and goodwill of the workforce.....something which is not being recognised by our current mis-management.
I would have thought that your obvious vast experience would have taught you that by now.???

You haven't revealed who you work for ( I wonder why ) and what happens in your workplace when "all the work has been completed " Has that never happened ???