PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - De Havilland Comet C2 "Sagittarius" XK699
Old 26th Jul 2003, 10:09
DrSyn

Man of the Marsh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great stuff, Lukeafb1. As I said, there seemed to be some doubt about the date, and your recollection would seem to favour an alternative of 3 Jun 59. This would have put 663 on 51 Sqn for the best part of a year. As jet transports were an expensive rarity at that time, I am quite sure it would have remained a hot topic for ages, if not indeed a legend.

I note from the front page of one of the Comet websites, that one of your possible contemporaries was present at the time and posted a correction to the location of the mishap. I wish he'd mentioned the date! There's another page here which might interest you and which also shows the above date. Although this page is not entirely accurate, I reckon you must be right.

I would imagine that, in view of 51's rôle, the incident would have been kept fairly low-key at the time. It is strange that there should be almost a 2-year discrepancy, however. Such is the nature of PPRuNe, no doubt someone who was on the scene will pop-up with positive confirmation before long It's certainly revived my historical interest in the aircraft and the last survivor.

Shame they don't have F540s on line yet!