PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air National Guard fast jet pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2016, 19:57
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
West Coast,

You're right, it is a philosophical issue.

When 'the balloon went up' in the mid-60s, the ANG with a little prior workup flew their old F-100Cs along side regular F-100Ds in SVN and did a credible job in an unpopular situation. Niagara Falls, Denver, Sioux City & ABQ had no problem being 'called up' and doing the job while understanding they would not have a chance of drawing retirement pay until age 60....if they accumulated an adequate number of points. Columbus OH ANG & Wichita KS ANG filled in at Kunsan in Korea while regular units were transferred to SVN.

The push for Total Force (Two area war philosophy) from both sides changed the ANG effort required dramatically, but did not change the wait for Guard retirement pay, however did result in an attractive increase in number of allotted active duty man-days for the Guard & USAFR per month. In the old system 1 or 2 active duty days per month paid by the Army to support ground FAC training were about all that was available to add to monthly UTA drill, 2 week Summer Camp & 48 AFTP pay. Maybe the Guard pilots are happier now I don't know, but I know in the 'weekend warrior' days I never went in to work without a smile on my face.

Now the balloon is up all the time, but at least ANG/USAFR got a Thunderbird slot as thanks.