PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 04:20
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the professionals always say intersection takeoffs don't affect safety but if I was sitting on an aircraft and it had to abandon its takeoff I would always like as much tarmac as possible in front of me.

Intersection takeoffs from 26 used to be rare now the majority of takeoffs are from the intersection. When they were starting to pick up in popularity, next to nothing took off from the 08 intersection but now again although not in the same numbers the numbers are increasing.

Runway 08 TORA 2162m 7093ft ASDA 2162m 7093ft
From Brava TORA 1688m 5538ft ASDA 1688m 5538ft

BUT most carriers use "balanced field" V speeds. Meaning that as long as you have enough runway for your takeoff weight, the V1 will be the same, even if the runway is longer than required.

Many years ago I was always happy to see the aircraft I was a passenger in lift off by the time it got level with the fire station. Now I am not happy to still have all 3 sets of wheels still planted firmly on the ground as the aircraft rushes past the 08 intersection as it prepares for its aircraft carrier style launch.

Just a personal viewpoint based on no logic apart from fear.

Worth a read when things went wrong at Luton https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib...320-214-g-ezuh

Last edited by LTNman; 22nd Jun 2016 at 04:53.