PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orange to Jandakot
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2016, 19:23
Amiri01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dingos at YFRT is not a joke. Indeed, one of my vivid memories is of a dingo at YFRT. Me and buddy were tasked to deliver two Macchis from Pearce to the Eastern States. Mine to Edinburgh, buddies to Sale. The first day of flying was Pearce to Kalgoorlie to Forest to Edinburgh. I led the form to KG then buddy led to FRT/EDN.

After refueling ourselves in FRT, we saddled back up and taxied out for departure. It was a very short taxi with the checks being done on the roll. Buddy lined up on the left with me in echelon right and we took off on the roll. As we had entered the runway, I'd looked ahead down the runway and saw an animal sitting on the left side a few hundred meters down the runway. I radioed to buddy "Hey Buddy, look out for the dingo". Buddy had had his head inside the cockpit for most of the takeoff to that point. I saw him look up and seeing the dingo sitting on the runway about 200m ahead, he promptly swerved right towards me... I had already backed off a bit but a further jab of my brakes kept me well clear of buddy. The dingo was still clearing the runway as we passed abeam it.

So the dingo threat is real. Whether at the accommodation or on the runway, beware!