PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Regional Airport Terminal Access
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2016, 10:25
Traffic_Is_Er_Was

Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Received 184 Likes on 77 Posts
I gave the money to council to build the terminal in the first place
Were you a rate payer? If not, you didn't.

all of us tax payers there is no terminal
I pay for Defence, but they won't let me fly an F/A-18.

Why did they not charge me a head tax as they did for the RPT passengers
Because the passenger buys a ticket, which includes an airport service charge. Thus the user is identified and targeted.

it follows they can charge me a tax for the terminal use too
Except that some itinerants don't want to use the terminal, so why should they pay? How does the airport operator know if you use the terminal? Honesty? Just like the VH-ABC's that avoid their landing fees?

perhaps you are not the right person to be making comment here
I have been involved in running a small country airport, so perhaps I am exactly the right person to be making comments. I can't help it if they do not support your argument.

particularly as your tax bill was over 200k last year
I wish! My taxes pay for a lot of stuff I can't use. Sorry to hear that you've only just realised yours do too.

earn a basic wage, the point remains the same however, doesn't it.
Yes, irrespective of your income, the point remains exactly the same.
A country airport ....is a facility for all aviation funded by Australian taxes
No it's not.

as long as (airlines) pay for it upfront and don't impede the development of a second terminal for all of us to use
They do pay (some begrudgingly), and they would not impede, in fact they would fight tooth and nail not to pay for a facility they wouldn't use. They understand user pays. On the other hand, feel free to pop some cash in an envelope and drop your contribution off to the refueller next time.

Mate, I can see where you are coming from, to an extent I agree with you, and in an ideal world it would be that way, but in reality, it's not the 60's anymore, and it is patently uneconomic for most small airport operators based on the numbers of itinerants that pass through these days.