PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birthday Honours 2016
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2016, 11:00
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Union Jack
A bit of a shortage of RAF awards compared to RN and Army - OTTB

....and, without wishing to add fuel to the fire, an interesting "extra-terrestrial" award, namely a CMG, for Major Tim Peake.....

Jack
I guess it shows someone in the Honours Committee has a sense of humour given that the Order generally relates to overseas service.

Still, ref the comments on RAF awards, I do sometimes wonder whether it's ingrained in our organsational DNA as this is a comment that comes up every year. The RAF has always had a reputation for being a bit more egalitarian than its sister services - family ties, Regimental history, school attended have always been less important than aptitude and ability, so maybe when people do well it's just viewed as a case of doing your job rather than anything deserving of an award. Indeed, it would be interesting to see how many RAF recipients were written up by a RAF chain of command or by a Joint CoC. Maybe I'm being overly generous in equating it to our egalitarian nature, maybe we just aren't as good at recognising people as we should be.