PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An FTRS RAF?
Thread: An FTRS RAF?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2016, 23:02
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Could be the last?
A number of the jobs I see advertised for FTRS are based on the need for continuity in post - not my words but those of a soon to retire 3*. However, I am just about to get my 6th Desk Officer/Career Manager (whatever they are called this week) in 9 years, surely this is the one area that should be FTRS'd from the top down? At least they would have to live with the consequences of their decisions. Thoughts.........?
Now there's a thought. Or it would be if FTRS was actually about continuity rather than not wanting to pay for manpower and capability. We simply don't do that sort of joined up thinking that would leave people in post to see out the consequences of their decisions. I'm currently involved in a fairly major and controversial project, purely as a minion Staff Officer, but even to my lowly position it is evident that it's not quite going to plan and is taking a lot of reworking on the hoof to fit square pegs into round holes. When I suggested, albeit half jokingly, that all OF6s and up who were involved in the decision making should have postings, promotions and honours put on hold pending a re-touring in post to see through their decisions, the look I got was one of pure horror. Evidence to my mind that we don't do continuity, especially in key and controversial areas, and FTRS seem unfortunately to be about doing things on the cheap more than anything else.