PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lifejackets for commercial seaplane ops
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2016, 20:29
a330pilotcanada

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Good afternoon Pilot DAR

Seems like a thousand years ago in another age I was flying corporate and the company I flew for had a DHC-2 amphibious Beaver. As I was the only one with a float endorsement (about 50 hours I might add) I got the job to fly this lovely aircraft. It was even IFR equipped only item missing was a glide slope but I digress.

Due to the individuals I was flying it was mandated that we all wear life jackets by the companies insurance for the executives and their families.

It became second nature after a while and I did not even mind wearing them as they were ex-military CO-2 life vests all properly certified.

You have a valid point about getting out of a sinking airplane and unless if blow a bubble or two you have no way of knowing which way is up. Throw in early or late flying into the mix with hypothermia in the equation not to mention health and age it can go south real fast.

Obviously those who have commented against wearing life jackets never made it above a PPL as they would not have had additional training such as A.R.T. etc

Never had to use a life jacket for its intended purpose but like fire insurance coverage you are glad to have it when it is needed.