PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question on PPL Hours crediting
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 13:00
Preedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on PPL Hours crediting

Afternoon All!

I'm new to this forum so would like to say a big hello and ask for your help.

I'm a PPL student, doing it as a hobby (no intention to change career or anything), I've been taking lessons at Rochester EGTO since about April and very much enjoying flying with Skytrek. I'm hoping the longer term to find a share a nice little plane and get some proper aviators so I fit in better at the airfield.

In 2001 (at the tender age of 17) I was lucky enough to get an RAF Flying Scholarship, which included 20 hours of training with Tayside Aviation, Dundee (civilian training school). These were probably two of the best two weeks I've ever had, lots of flying, boozing and enjoying the company of fellow students!) oh to be 17 again!

It has since taken me 15yrs or so to get in a position where flying is a realistic (just about affordable) hobby to take up.. having had five or six lessons this year it is all gradually coming back to me!

Anyway, I have my old log book from 2001 which is pretty basic (hours logged, aircraft, type, Dual / Solo etc) but all signed and stamped by Tayside.

I can see nothing in CAP804 / FCL210.A that suggests my old hours from 2001 can't be credited against the EASA PPL 45hr requirement. In 2001 I followed a JAR syllabus flying SEPs (C152, as now).

I did ping an email to the CAA licensing bods to confirm this and they've sent me back a form 'SRG2137' and suggested I'd need to apply for an 'exemption' and pay £53. Anyone got any idea what I'd be applying for an 'exemption' from? the form gives me no clues at all.

They also tell me there's an Information Notice to be released this week on the crediting of hours pre-2012. I'm no lawyer and I appreciate this is a legal minefield, but am I missing something obvious in the regs?

It wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd prefer to avoid the situation of applying for my license and then being told I'd need to complete another £3 - 4k worth of hours before I can fly off into the sunset with the mrs (...and then promptly return back within 30mins of civil twilight..) ..obviously this assumes I can do the whole thing on minimum-ish hours anyway, which is by no means a given.

I've asked the CAA chap to clarify, but wondered if anyone had any similar experience on this point?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks!

Pat