PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gimli Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2003, 11:04
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too was wondering whether the auto flight system on the airbus would be able to be tripped to permit such sideslipping as was the case with the 767,............ any one type rated on the Airbus able to respond?

This is one of the only instances that this sort of thing might be useful, that I can think of.

Picture having an Airbus go the all motor shutdown for whatever reason, PF manages to place said aircraft at 2500 feet at 2nm lined up with SY 34L unless he/she choses to conduct a 90 degree turn (or thereabouts) to the left and head for the Novotel possibly with the gear alreadly down, PF will have no choice but to watch the vast majority and perhaps all the 3 and a half odd k's of runway go silently sailing below as one heads for the brickworks.

I dont know the glide ratio of an appropriately configured Airbus or the potential to trip the system and allow sideslip. If I am not mistaken the Air Transat captain and perhaps the FO got their marching orders over this one (can someone confirm) If this system cannot be tripped it sounds like he had what was arguably a much more difficult task on his hands.

Bring on the training, if your outfit is not already doing so!

Willie