PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVA AIR vs EMIRATES vs TURKISH
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2016, 21:08
Emma Royds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Such preferences are very personal at the end of the day but this is my take on the topic.

Look at the number of hull losses that Turkish have had and ask yourself if that is where you would like to progress to? Their safety record is appalling. That alone rings alarm bells for me and points to many significant issues on the flight deck and in the company as a whole, which convince me to avoid them at all costs. Plus there is living in Istanbul and getting paid in Turkish Lira, which has lost close to half its value in two years.

Moving to Emirates should not be viewed as a long term career move since the rosters are not sustainable. As an F/O this is probably the best option of the three in terms of working environment and for overall experience. However, time to command has increased but difficult to quantify as there are many variables and it will probably be a number of years for those joining now. If you are single or married with no kids and don't plan to have kids then the economics of living in Dubai can still be favourable. If you have kids or plan to have kids, then you will have a lot less disposable cash at the end of the month.

My general theory for Far Eastern airlines is that you only really want to join them as a Captain and not as an F/O. The cockpit gradient will be steep and you will be a minority as an ex-pat. I think the word 'tolerate' will probably sum up how an ex-pat F/O would describe working at such a company. It will not be a easy ride on the flight deck for an ex-pat F/O. If Eva could give you the commuting lifestyle that you feel outweighs the other negatives, then it could be worth looking at closely.

Its very much down to you at the end of the day. Good luck!