PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates or Qatar
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2016, 07:15
ExDubai

Location: Escaped the sandpit 53° 32′ 9.19″ N, 9° 50′ 13.29″ E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluwbird
I have been offered an FO position with both Emirates and Qatar. I am in a dilemma as to which one to take. Guys at Qatar seem to be a lot happier, however the downside is living in Doha (I have a wife and 2 young kids). Dubai from what we have seen is more family friendly, however guys at Emirates don't seem to be as happy.

Any guidance or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
First question. Did your wife visit both places? A lot depends on Missus bluwbird and her opinion!

Growing up 2 kids in DXB is a rather expensive challenge. Keep in mind that the EK school allowance doesn't cover the total cost and you'll have to put a significant amount on top.You might end up and subsidize the school with more then 1 months salary. The EK deal is just an "average deal", nothing more. It seems that QR improved their T&C's, their was a lot of complaining, but that seems to be history.

Try to compare the QOL in DXB and Doha. DXB is a fancy but also an expensive place. And keep in mind that DXB will introduce a VAT by 2018. That means another salary decrease.....

Don't get me wrong, it's not impossible to raise 2 kids in DXB on a FO salary, but it's an challenge. Don't expect to save a lot of money, forget the new fancy SUV and entertainment is mostly at home.

Last edited by ExDubai; 27th May 2016 at 09:48.