PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2016, 22:12
mrmum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What would you do?

Here's a scenario:

You had taken a PPL holder to a grass airfield for some familiarisation training on that type of runway, which is a reasonable size, but with a significant slope and has standing crops on both sides right up to the runway edges.

While having a coffee, you observe a LAA tail wheel type aircraft make an approach, then disappear below the crest of the runway, then reappear possibly following a bounce or balloon, then descend out of view again, followed by a go-around. After the second "interesting" approach, it drops out of view with a high ROD, comes back into sight, touches down quite hard, then ground loops into the crops and heads back down the hill out of sight. While this was occurring one of the occupants inadvertently presses the PTT and we are treated to a string of expletives on the R/T.

A few of the locals go to help and after a while it reappears and taxis to the parking area, no injuries, no significant damage.

The two guys get out, come into the building, where one of them takes the other's licence and fills out the ratings page. There didn't seem to be any test forms, so let's assume that the one hour dual flight with an instructor had just taken place, then a revalidation by experience.

Would you sign off either the dual flight, or the rating revalidation if you'd sat through a performance like that?
I don't believe I would, I think I'd be encouraging them to undertake some further refresher training.
I understand the required hour with an instructor isn't a test, however we don't have to sign it if we think something about it wasn't safe. I those circumstances I believe the examiner should refuse to carry out the revalidation and direct the licence holder to submit an application to the CAA to carry out the administrative action.