PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foolish to become a commercial pilot?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2003, 12:27
Victa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Foolish to become a commercial pilot?

Why would you want to be a pilot nowadays? Looks like the best of aviation is a thing of the past. Here are a few of my observations:

-> The shear cost of training and the ammount of BS you have to put up with during training.

-> The high probability of being unemployed after training.

-> Working in G.A. for 'X' ammount of time for less money than the average unskilled factory hand who paid nothing for his/her training.

-> Even if you manage to get into an airline, there appears that wages & conditions have dropped substantially.

-> The shear uncertainty that surrounds your pilot job. No one is safe, even the guys in the majors.

-> Time away from friends & family. In my humble opinion this would be the worst aspect of being a commercial pilot. It's hard to have a husband/wife (&) children when you are away from them so much.

-> Also the majority of pilots I've come across (both G.A. and Airline) would not think twice about compromising your situation to only benefit themselves. Gross generalisation? Well I know there are some "good guys" out there, but I'd really have to admit that most that I've come across wouldn't know the meaning of such words as: honour, integrity, loyalty, true friendship, etc.

Call me weak, but I don't think I could put up with the above just for the love of flying. I love my flying but who in their rightful mind would put up with the above for just that, the love of flying?

I've decided to pursue a more stable and better paid career and fly privately occasionally for the shear love of it. It is true that all industries have their risks but it is also true that aviation is riskier than most. I see myself as one of those "nice guys" and know that I wouldn't be able to put up with being exploited by the company I worked for and by the pilots around me. I really did believe that I'd be able to bring some goodness to this industry, even a small bit but in all honesty...I can't be bothered. This industry is a loss, with every person like me there is 10, maybe 100 other people who are doing their best to destroy this industry. Everywhere I look there is someone trying to bring down another. Everyone for themselves. This happens in other industries, but with a combination of some of the above points I fancy my chances elsewhere. So the "bad guys" win? Well I hope you all have a most enjoyable life together. As for those "good guys" out there I wish you all the best. I really do hope that things could be turned around for the better.

So who would be foolish enough to become a pilot nowadays?