PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ridiculous radio calls
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2016, 05:30
IFEZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Squawk7700 on this one. Depending on which runway(s) they are using, especially 31/13, the instructions and read backs required are far too long and complex, especially for student pilots (or more mature ones like me with a short memory span!). It jams things up with constant corrections turning one call into 3 by the time they get it right.

As far as I'm concerned, it worked fine the way it was when it was a GAAP and even prior to that. Even with the new system, there are still runway incursions happening. Just because the read back is correct doesn't seem to stop people getting distracted or unsure of where they are when they finally do get to cross the 3rd runway via the 4th taxiway in the readback, and stuff it up!

I don't have any figures to back up what I'm about to say, but 10 or 15 years ago there was a lot more traffic using MB than there is now, or at least that's the way it seemed when I was waiting in the queue behind at least 5 others at the holding point trying to get away. There were no long winded radio calls required back then, and the system worked fine.