PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 14th May 2016, 10:28
globemaster_sg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like this thrend has taken an interesting turn.

I started writing on this thrend to provide some on-the-ground perspective for aspiring pilots. Having come across numerous news and social media outlets that typical give an unrealistic or skewed assessment of pilot demand in the region, I thought it would be good to offer a dose of reality here.

Let me start with the MPL program. It is, in my opinion, the perfect marriage between airline employers seeking to cut cost/reduce training time as a well as a step to lower the high entry barrier for self sponsored pilots. In other words, self sponsored pilots should jump on this opportunity and hook yourself up with an employer as the first strategy. Yes, it does come with the downside of being subjected to the mercy of the airline. And yes, it is clear that the airline can drop you anytime during the course of your training. However, that is, IMO, a reasonable risk vis-a-vis self sponsoring your way with no certainty of a job placement. Perhaps it might even help you secure a bank loan given that the bank is better assured that you are less likely to default on the loan.

Coming from the line, I can safely say that the number of employers you can find here is very very limited. Without an MPL, chances are, you will have to move overseas to secure a job. Yes, the demand for air travel is growing in this region with a bulging middle class blah blah. However, note that this growth stems mostly from developing countries mostly ie. Indonesia, Malaysia etc. Job openings for low hour CPL/ATPL is still and continues to be few and far between. Further, these positions are mostly restricted to locals only.

In Singapore, the rise of Tiger and most recently Scoot have created many opportunities for low hour pilots (I have a few friends that benefited). Those are the lucky ones. You have already miss this wave if you are an aspiring pilots looking to start training now. When the next wave of pilot demand will come from in the next 5 years in Singapore is anyone's guess. But, bear in mind, this: Singaporeans from the Qatar MPL have already began line flying in Doha. Chances are many will start returning to SG in the next 4-8 years (having clocked their hours/ attain command) to seek employment adding to the competition. Trust me, no one wants to stay in Doha for the long term.

Consider, wisely your options before committing yourself on to this endeavour. I have seen many Singaporeans who didn't see the brighter end from this profession.

@AviatorLeo, I share your suspicion. Haven't heard of any aspiring pilots who wouldn't try for the sponsored or MPL program before resorting to self-sponsoring.