PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unhelpful NOTAMS
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2003, 19:54
NOtimTAMs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I'm not a lazy sod - I just didn't want anyone to think I was too conscientious (but I *do* update my DAPS/CARs/AIP SUPs etc. on time and without a company lackey to do it for me!)

The "temporary danger areas" listed above are not part of any of the "yellow" AIP SUPs ( i.e. not part of Excercises Grumpy Strike, Crocodile 03, Cobra Strike, Kakadu VI or Black Dagger - don't you just love them military flyboys and the dinky names? Roger that, Taipan One..... )

In fact, one of the areas takes in a large part of northeastern NSW (including Grafton, Pt Lookout, Inverell, Glen Innes and most low level IFR tracks out of SE Qld to southern states) and the other large area covers many tracks out from SE Qld to western Qld and vice versa.

Given that the danger areas encompass the activities of military ACFT on random tracks and altitudes from SFC to base of CTA and given that many RPT/Charter on short sectors in this area fly below CTA (not to mention PVT flyers), why aren't folks as up in arms at the potential for mid airs here as they seem to be for the NAS proposals?

Given that the military or CASA (or someone) cares enough to publish nice graphics-based outlines of PRDs for the AIP SUPs for the above-named military excercises, why doesn't military or CASA (or someone) give a damn about doing the same for the above very extensive areas?

For whose benefit are these danger areas published anyway? If we believe we could have a collision do we not fly there - even if the area takes in a quarter of a state? If we are carrying fare-paying pax (or even just someone we love ), are we or our companies culpable for flying through such a danger area if the unthinkable happens? Does anyone think see and avoid will help a military jet avoid a collision?

Frankly, I don't see a practical safety risk myself, but I can't stand to see the hypocrisy of those who whinge and bitch about having non-announced traffic flying through "their" sacrosanct levels, when the reality is that it happens and has been happening almost every day, in very fast aircraft on routes serviced by charter and RPT.....

In addition, if it is seen to be worthwhile to detail (in a more useful fashion - by diagram) such airspace in AIP SUPs, why doesn't that apply to the above danger areas??

Happy flying.

NOtimTAMs