PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Training, OATS & others....
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2003, 17:48
Fogbound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Mis informed

The Integrated course is more expensive than the Modular. A lot of this is down to the fact that the FTO pays a lot more in approval certification to the CAA then has to recoup the cost somehow (through the cost of the course to the student!)

The big differences between the two routes are that on an integrated course you have NO licence until you complete the full training and get the IR at the end. On a modular course you could apply for each licence as you pass each section. This means you could take a gap in the course for personal reasons or what ever is required. You also usually end up with more flying hours on the Modular course.

I started my training in 1999 and at that time JAR was only a few exams old. There were very few schools (in my opinion) geared up to cope with the transition from CAA to JAA. Modular was very much a mix and match route, and the airlines seemed to be preferring the integrated trained students, so the only option that I could see was to take the integrated route. Things have progressed a lot since then. The JAA system has seemingly been 'bedded in'. A new breed of FTO has taken a stong hold within the industry - the modular provider who can cover all modules from initial PPL through ATPL groundschool, CPL, Multi, IR & MCC. Essentially you are integrated in the fact that you turn up on day one and stay until you have finished and walk out the door with that little blue book.

What is right for one is not necissarily right for another. This is why there are a number of different FTO's all over the country/world offering essentially the same end result (ATPL) but with a variety of different options on how to reach it.

To correct Bobby. A Modular student does not have to instruct where an integrated wouldn't. I was an integrated student and I have an instructors rating. I know a number of different people with different training backgrounds who have or have not done FI courses and who have or have not landed a job with the airlines. There is no trend to this, but mostly perseverance and a lot of right place right time luck.