PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long are your landings?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 10:20
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.3 Vs !!!!!!!!!!

As Fireflybob says "approach speed seems a common factor ".

I see all sorts of reasons used to increase the approach speed, the common ones being increased weight & gusty conditions as well as "that's what they do on airliners " ( that usually from the orange jet wannabes ).

I discovered most of this while having a coffee in the lounge of a flying club while getting warm having just changed yet another badly flat spotted tyre.

The student congregation around the TV watching airline cockpit videos seemed to regard the flight manual approach speed as a minimum to build apon to get more safety with speed rather than a speed calculated by the aircraft manufacturer for an approach at MLW.

As they usually fly the aircraft well below the MLW I offered the opinion that to achieve 1.3 Vs they might well consider reducing the approach speed below that quoted in the flight manual.

While the approach speed reduction to achieve 1.3 Vs might be far too radical for flying instruction it did bring home the fact that at usual operation weights the flight manual speed will provide adequate gust protection as it is bound to be above the aircraft's true 1.3 Vs.