PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2016, 22:57
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOM Long-haul
What some of you have failed to realise is that TOM have (just) set up long-haul shop at STN with their 787 to the two destinations some of you are suggesting they operate from LTN.

It's not going to happen IMHO.
Put your toys back in the pram!

I was not for one minute suggesting that, and fully aware STN is operating long haul routes for Thomson this year.

It was purely an article I noticed and thought I would post, on the back of people had previously mentioned Luton will need to look at expanding its runway, if it is was to attract long haul routes in the furture.

I was pointing out how Bristol has a shorter runway and how the 787 will be flying direct from there to Mexico and Florida, so in the future with the current facilities in place, long haul wide bodied operations are possible from LTN!

The likes of TOM and MON should have grown with LTN being it's base at LTN!

Once the 18 million mark is achieved we all need to look at the airports true potential because I for one believe LTN has more room for growth and that includes long haul operations!

Even within the boundary a 8000 feet runway is feasible and beyond the perimeter a 9 to 10 thousand feet runway is achievable!
Its a fact we need to face up to, LGW is their airport of choice for London and the same for easyJet, and LTN will always play second fiddle to all three airlines. Im not sure about TOM and MON, but easyJet have always made in clear, LGW is their most profitable base and hence the reason why they prefer to expand at a greater rate there.

You are probably right, the airport will need to expand to the south of runway in the years to come. You however, have one major issue, you are then encroaching into the borders of Hertfordshire, where the county and district councils (plus the NIMBYs) are vehemently against any expansion and will almost be guaranteed to reject any planning permission, as it will be in their hands to approve.

That then means it will probably be passed to the government to approve and could mean public enquiries and court cases, which could last years.