PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drone strike
Thread: Drone strike
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2016, 13:40
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
You may be right, you may be wrong, but which will be the easiest and most popular to legislate against? The drone community may need all the friends it can get - name calling won't help.
Who's doing any name calling? I literally meant what I said. Pilot fatigue has a documented accident/incident history, and the threads on this place alone show that many professional pilots consider their own fatigue levels to be a significant threat to flight safety.

Pilot mental stability has a non-zero accident history (German wings, Egyptair 990, probably MH370 to name but three). It demonstrably has a higher probability of causing "bad ****" than a drone strike. So if we aren't mandating annual pilot metal health checks I suggest we're saying we don't need any more drone legislation either, as both risks are clearly within the tolerable threshold.

The FAA have done a classic "knee jerk" by introducing "drone registration" - each drone must carry the registration number of its owner/operator. Perhaps one of you could ask the flight-deck crew of yesterday's A320 whether they would have been able to read the registration numbers in 10mm-high font as it whizzed towards them at ~180mph? To be honest I'm actually surprised that they could even have determined it was a drone in the very brief time between becoming visible and smacking against the fuselage!

PDR