PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drone strike
Thread: Drone strike
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2016, 15:23
msjh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G0ULI
Surely the risk to light aircraft is far higher than commercial multi engined jet aircraft. Light aircraft tend to fly at low altitudes in uncontrolled airspace and are much more likely to end up in conflict with model and drone aircraft. Light aircraft have fewer redundant systems and are more likely to be crewed by a single qualified pilot. They are more likely to be damaged by a collision with even a lightweight object. Surely light aircraft pilots are the ones who should be shouting the loudest for stricter controls on model aircraft and UAVs/drones?

A single, at this moment, suspected, collision with a drone by a large commercial airliner has caused a slew of headlines and calls for action despite no damage or evidence of a collision being found (from reports I've read).

So why aren't all the PPLs, flying instructors and hours builders not up in arms campaigning for action? They seem to be the people most at risk.
I always fly a few miles away from the nearest airport (not easy in SE England) and I'm very careful to check out the environment before I fly. Nevertheless, there have been a couple of occasions when a low-flying helicopter has appeared with little warning.

Based on my statistically insignificant experience, I'd agree that a small aircraft collision is more likely.