PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drone strike
Thread: Drone strike
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2016, 06:19
msjh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly a drone

Some thoughts:

- If this was a drone (I don't think it's yet confirmed) then it was either a malicious act, (which sadly can't be discounted) or a staggeringly stupid one.

- GPS, miniaturisation and battery technology mean Pandora's box is open.

- There are regulations about drone flying. In the UK, there's a brief summary here.

- Some drones (the more recent ones from DJI, the most prolific manufacturer) are programmed with exclusion zones near airports so that they won't fly there. If the operator attempts to fly into an exclusion zone , the drone will descend.

- My assumption is that a drone strike would Not Be a Good Thing. So I avoid flying anywhere I think I might find aircraft below 400' (the legal upper limit for drones in the UK). However, from time to time I've seen helicopters buzz over at lower altitudes.

- I suspect that laws will be brought in making it mandatory for the drone electronics to include a signal that can be picked up by ground / airborne radar.

Meantime, for the pro pilots here, please remember that the vast majority of drone pilots are responsible and we are incensed by the few who behave stupidly.

Last edited by msjh; 18th Apr 2016 at 08:17.