PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long are your landings?
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2016, 15:46
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSD,
Just for discussion/debate purposes:
Quote:
To me, an aircraft has not landed until all of its wheels are on the ground.
True, .....
So, we agree!

Once the aeroplane is in that position continuing to hold off the nose wheel until the elevator runs out of authority is easy,
Holding the nose off may be easy (though some students/pilots do forget), but doing it whilst maintaining the Runway centreline and Runway direction seems to be impossible for most students (and some pilots) and definitely requires practice.

If you accept that a "Take Off" is permissible anytime after the main wheels have touched the ground then you are also accepting that the "Take Off" will start from wherever the touchdown happened to occur.
Most students do not touchdown on the centreline and the vast majority seem to prefer the left hand side of the runway - which way is the aircraft likely to yaw when full power is applied?
Directional control in the flare, hold off, touchdown and subsequent roll out or acceleration seems to be beyond most (especially early) students.

Nothing wrong, in my book, with reconfiguring the aeroplane as long as it has landed, albeit with the little wheel (which ever end of the aeroplane it's on) still off the ground
Extending Flaps causes a Pitch Up, Retracting Flaps causes a Pitch Down. Configuring from Landing to Take Off with the Nose Wheel still off the ground could have interesting consequences.

A Take Off should always require a positive decision to proceed, and that decision should not be made unless both the aircraft and pilot are ready (Acft configured for Take Off, Acft on the Runway Centreline, Runway ahead sufficient)

so 'going' on a touch and go before the nosewheel has landed surely has great benefit in fitting as many 'landings' as possible into each hour
This is practising neither Landings, nor Take Offs. It is practising flying an aeroplane close to the ground with its main wheels touching the ground or, as I posted earlier, a Go Around (where the wheels happened to touch the ground).