PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long are your landings?
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2016, 11:53
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.......you can only have one first solo.......
In aeroplanes - yes. I have managed two first solos in my career, the second one was more un nerving than the first.

I was mentoring held off landings to two pilots yesterday, (C172 and C150). During my checkout in the 172 (class one instructors was checking me out), he seemed surprised that I would hold the nosewheel off as long as the plane would allow. He was also unaware that 15 flap would allow lightening the nosewheel loads even while taxiing. Indeed, while I was taxiing out, another instructor radio'd us to tell us that our flap were extended a bit - Yes, I intend that. My instructor was a little surprised that the nosewheel would lift off in a 15 flap takeoff, within the first couple of feet of ground roll, and could be easily held off thereafter until airborne.

When you consider the amount of rudder back there, and it's arm to the main wheels, compared to the rather small amount of nosewheel rubber contacting the ground at a short arm, it is not surprising that the rudder as actually very effective for steering on the ground, as long as some air is passing over it. From my experience, if the horizontal tail will control pitch, so as to lift the nose to tailwheel off, there's lots of rudder to steer any GA plane (some powerful warbird types are different in that regard)..

While mentoring the 150 owner last evening, I managed to make the landing use ou about 4000 feet of the 6000 foot runway, by very slowly reducing the power, as he had to control the aircraft the whole time during the landing - it worked quite well.

Pilots spend much too little time in the flare!