PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long are your landings?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2016, 03:20
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
How long are your landings?

I was watching the 172s pound circuits for a bit this afternoon, as well as a couple of really skillfully flown taildraggers. I considered how long their landings were - not in the runway distance used sense, but rather how long was each pilot landing the plane, from the time (and place on the runway) where the first wheel touched, to the point at which it appeared that the pilot was no longer attempting to control the aircraft as it moved through the air.

I watched a pilot three point a 172, and very shortly after saw the elevator droop so as to suggest that the pilot had entirely released the controls. That pilot did not land the airplane for very long.

I watched another pilot, in a gentle crosswind, neatly put down the upwind main wheel of his Citabria, hold the other one off a ways, then later settle the tail gently down, and turn off the runway with the stick held back, and the ailerons still into the crosswind. Nice...

And generally I saw a group of pilots land the club 172s, and devote some effort to keeping a wing low into the crosswind, and holding the nose up throughout the landing - good effort.

It seems to me that the longer you spend landing the plane, the better chance of flying a nice landing! The drop it on, and forget about it, not so much....