PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia (WITHOUT POLITICS PLS!)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2003, 21:32
Goldwing2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Bob Hawke,

What you have said is basically right, though the well is going to dry up sooner rather then later. I heard a couple of months back that there aren't many Malaysians pilots left that aren't already flying. The only ones and there can't be that many are all in training at MFA or privately overseas. It takes approximately one year to get their frozen ATPL and this is if they all pass their exams first time! The CP of AA might be correct in what he says but I'm sure he hasn't factored in the demand from the other airlines like Mas and Transmile. Personally I can't see where all the extra pilots are going to come from especially in the short term.
As post-sars travelling increases and indoubtly it will, Mas has already started to increase their flights to all the affected areas, it won't be long before they start fishing around for more pilots as they did pre-sars. AA have some 11 B733 coming in less then 11 months and to sustain their growth will be looking to start flying regionally as the Malaysian market can only sustain so much before saturation occurs not withstanding the fact that Mas also flys domestically and they would certainly not what to lose any more ground to their illustratious low cost competitor. This increase competition is not only good for the public but looking very good for any Malaysian pilots and eventually for expat pilots.

Goldwing2000