PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Batik Air (Lion Group) on fire at Jakarta's Halim Airport
Old 5th Apr 2016, 20:56
DingerX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look, I don't want to wade in here, but the cock-up is spectacular, and the outcome pretty good, although not great. Hell, I'll even call it awe-inspiring.
So, yeah, either the flight crew missed the call to line up and wait, because tower was giving priority to a tug over the sole outbound aircraft, or the tug driver just caused more damage than he ('cos it is a he) would earn in 30 years of dragging them around. Or, of course, tower cleared everyone indiscriminately.
Make your odds how you will; I put van Zant 2.0 at 20:1.
Here's something I'd like to know: elsewhere I've seen clucking about flight crew not lowering the flaps for evacuation, although nobody was injured. This judgement comes from the video, which is shot after all pax have evacuated. Yet, when the first fire truck arrives (btw that 'flare up' is just fire illuminating the water) and starts the hose, two people with flashlights exit via the L1 slide. Now, either ARFF inserted some badasses before they could get engines on the scene, or two pros in the plane did their funkin' job, irrespective of the contingencies of mgmt, atc, chronic fatigue, systemic corruption, linguistic confusion, religious dissension, their own mistakes, or any number of other reasons that we'd find perfectly valid.

So, yeah, to the last two off: I salute you for doing your job. You took it.