PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brexit and the 5th?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2016, 12:36
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the EU could, and I fear, would play hardball with UK
You conveniently neglect to mention that the UK is quite capable of retaliation if forced into a corner by the imposition of tariffs etc. And the EU has much more to lose. Tell us again why either side would want this outcome? Trade with Europe didn't start in 1973. It won't end in 2018 (after the two year adjustment period). Life as we know it will continue. FEAR is indeed the apt word in this context.

Remember, if 60 million idiots chose to leave the EU
IDIOTS ... Defined as people who don't agree with the political views of AT Notts. Respectful.

Mods. Please consign this thread to JB
Translation: Mods - Please suppress this (very worthwhile) debate.

Let's face it, many millions of people don't really understand the issues and will simply vote through fear and prejudice!
I do completely agree with this, though probably from the other side of the fence from yourself. Coverage of the issues has been very narrow and ill-informed from the mainstream media. Discussion appears to focus on benefit entitlements for East European guestworkers (very distasteful sideshow of negligible consequence) and a succession of CEO's talking their book. Commentators appear keen to imply that those in favour of BREXIT are motivated by Little Englander racism rather than the core issues which get scarcely a mention. One hopes that the standard of debate will rise and embrace the real issues as referendum day approaches.

As for the airline industry, I'm confidently predicting "as you were" whatever the outcome of the referendum. Disruptive change doesn't hold any attraction for either party.

will duty free shopping be back at airports etc if we do leave the EU?
Great question!!! I hadn't even thought about that one. Maybe airports and airlines should lobby for BREXIT! ;-)