PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF VIP Fleet Renewal
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2016, 18:33
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by IsDon
I've been in the BBJ a few times in my previous life. The aircraft, then anyway, were very basic.

If you get the impression these aircraft had gold plated taps and spa baths think again. They were meant to be airborne offices and deliberately understated to keep the voter happy.

I agree with Keg. We send these aircraft overseas with the leaders of our country aboard. Regardless of your politics, I'd prefer to see that service provided by the RAAF in an aircraft designed for the purpose. I'd love to see the RAAF doing troop transports too rather than via the lowest bidder, but that's another issue.

Not only does a dedicated aircraft allow the ministers the opportunity to work in transit, it also gives them a certain status that commercial flights don't allow. In the wider world of politics, this status is actually worth something.

I reckon B789s would fit the bill nicely.
I'd like to see a decent livery, with Commonwealth of Australia in the standard government typeface on the side and maybe a thin green and gold stripe with the coat of arms on the tail. The USAF operates the two VC-25s but they aren't painted in USAF livery, rather in a national livery. Ditto other nations. The original 'Air Force One' blue livery that exists to this day was designed at the behest of JFK when I believe, Jacquie suggested it didn't promote the US sufficiently.