PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resurgence of QSY
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2016, 11:36
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best thing would be to encourage better training and understanding of what types of services people are under, and where they apply... Most people flying puddle jumpers assume that whenever they are talking to a unit, it's all proper and they have to request everything and treat it like some sort of privilege.

So, I locally hear (Class G with a LARS) people requesting climb/descent, asking for zone transit (of an ATZ - that people seemingly don't understand the dimensions of) and replying "Contact xxx.xx" when given freecall...

If people understood the differences between operating in/out of CAS, and what is implied with contact vs freecall, we might be onto something.

Also, is there an official requirement to say you are leaving frequency?! e.g. when leaving an A/G airfield. I know most give it the "departing the circuit to the xxxx, changing to xxx.xx, (thanks for the visit etc )" but is there any real need? Don't want to open a can of worms, but never done that in the States when leaving a towered (Class D) airport... you just depart, get given a turn on course (either when airborne or with takeoff clearance) and that's that. Leave the ATZ then do what you want and don't say a word. None of this "departing the circuit to the south, climbing through xxxx', changing to blah blah". I would agree it might be handy to let people know where you are for SA, but is there some silly old UK rule along the lines of booking out that you have to say if you're leaving the frequency in case you have a problem?!