PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diversion - Did Manchester Shrink in the Rain?
Old 28th Mar 2016, 10:48
seen_the_box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craggenmore, whatever the boxes may say, the FACT is neither runway at Manchester at 10000ft and 10007ft is too short as has been demonstrated many, many times. It is TOTALLY due to management which would prefer to rely on boxes rather than experienced humans. True, humans are fallible but in this instance where the facts of the runway length are incontravertible and there was a cross wind seemingly within limits, airmanship should have sperceded management dictats and a faulty computer.
I don't fly the A380; merely smaller Airbii. However, if what Craggenmore wrote about BTV is correct, I don't see that the crew had a choice if everything happened as is being reported here. If you get an amber or red message on your PFD, you had better be bloody sure what you're doing if you decide to disregard it.

To give an example to illustrate the point: an incident happened here a while ago where a crew ignored a REACTIVE windshear warning (WINDSHEAR aural callout and WINDSHEAR in red on PFD), because in their opinion no actual windshear condition existed. In the debrief, it turned out that the windshear warning was absolutely correct, and the aircraft had ended up in a low energy state. As I said, you have to be absolutely sure what you're doing before you start disregarding amber or red messages on your PFD.