PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe
Thread: Flybe
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2016, 09:37
Wireless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe Rex. But I simply can't responsibly abvocate that turboprop predjudice is gone for good. I feel it's temporary which is why I responded to what you indicated. You mentioned moving out of your comfort zone. I was Embraer rated and still had to end up flying from the Arsenal end of no where, albeit on a wide body. But it nearly broke my home life. It maybe fine in principle just to say up sticks if/when/maybe. However in the job decision stage it is a consideration. Everyone's lives are different. If it does happen it's no good saying to your wife and children "sorry, should've been bus rated, we need to move to Ghana". It's real when it happens. Normally suddenly, as we all found. I heard this sentiment about guys not being willing to work overseas a lot, and it always was from the pilots without families. I don't have children myself and was mobile but it wasn't through choice.

I would rather be bus or 737 rated with options to stay flying within the UK than find myself again in that sudden station if that's where my wife and children's lives lay. I saw for many colleagues it wasn't a case of not willing to contemplate but "how can I" with young children in school and a family. I remember one strong man in tears in the crew room with his worry.

We're quick as pilots to assume loved ones follow our wandering paths. But having been flying, flying machines in various methods now for 20 years and having lost a lot along the way I can safely say the rest of our lives may not follow us.

And as an informed person making making a decision, if I knew my heart and family life lay firmly in the UK I wouldn't be so dismissive about the ramifications of simply "being unwilling", especially now as there's choices in UK flying employment.

Last edited by Wireless; 27th Mar 2016 at 09:49.