PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women in Aviation
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2003, 23:11
Maxflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Women in aviation

Whirlybird said,
6% of PPLs are female, and under 3% of commercial pilots
What percentage of women are interested in aviation compared to men? How many build models, photograph aircraft, wear anoraks?

Yes there are inequalities between the sexes, but harping on about it simply irritates and strengthens existing prejudices.

I received tuition from a female instructor during my PPL training, the school I learnt from is part owned and run by a woman (pilot). I have never heard anyone make reference to their ability based upon their gender, had I done so I would have complained accordingly.

As for hiding one's head in the sand; My wife is a full time accountant, we have children and two horses. We manage to cope wthout any additional burdens being placed on either of us. I understand that there are men out there who will not accept women as equals, but they are a dying breed.

Let's start looking forward and refrain from reinforcing streotypes that have no place in the 21st Century.

As I always tell people, "I wear the trousers in my marriage - when my wife tells me I can".