PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice/ Ideas for a long time hopeful
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2016, 07:22
jamesgrainge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=MaverickPrime;
- ever thought of driving an HGV in the UK, my friend is a tramper and earns as much money as a FR first officer, easy way to earn money quickly to put towards your training. Train driving also pays good money but it's not as easy to get into.

Good luck mate![/QUOTE]

Just a little aside. Only even consider HGV if its something you want to do. It will cost you over £2500 to get your C+E licence, if you pass first time. Expect to work on Tippers/bin wagon or agency on 8 wheeler for the first year of your work, very few companies take on freshly passed drivers for Class 1. After that the going rate is £10 an hour on Artic if you are lucky, plenty of people I know are still working for £8 fully qualified. Tramping is a route towards £35-40k per year, but it is a pretty horrible job, away all week in a little box, bad sleep in ****ty service stations. We also get constantly hassled by VOSA, Police, Dvla and need to be switched on at all times to rest related violations, where fines can start at £250 upto £5000. Not to mention you and only you are responsible for the legality of your wagon and the potential death and destruction you can cause from one second of not paying attention. I'm lucky to earn over £800 a week but it takes me 80+ hours, no evening at home and often 6 day weeks, sat in jams and bored on the road. On a sunny day with no hassle HGV driving is a breeze and almost akin to the feeling of flying, but on a rainy day in a layby with smoke pouring from your brakes and the depot hassling you as to why your load is melting in the back, it sucks!

Also @greenlights is abit of a cock