PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tooradin Prang
Thread: Tooradin Prang
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2016, 02:29
Squawk7700

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts
Are you saying there was only a 12kt wind from 090 or was it 12kts of xwind at the time..?
A couple of us estimated 12 knots from 090 degrees, so a 50 degree crosswind from the right (you can do the numbers on the actual crosswind component).

The nearest weather station is Cerberus and the observation for there was as follows:,

Therefore, 7 knots gusting 12, although it felt like a consistent 12 at the airfield. I don't recall it lulling to 7 knots; you'd notice that. Albiet, Cerberus is not Tooradin.

AirServices put the Fire station at Ballina, not bloody Tooradin!
Credit should go to the local CFA; a dedicated station may be a little OTT. They were there very quickly and when I say quickly, I mean less than 10 minutes and it's a 4 kilometre drive. Being a Sunday I suspect they were already at the station for training. They were very professional, took the wind into account, cleared non-essential personnel, set up a crime scene, worked with pilots to get the fuel and power off, covered up fuel etc and it all went on from there. It was all an interesting experience to watch the pieces come together.

AMSA were also on the phone within minutes as the beacon went off due to the impact. (Where's Leadsled, this one actually worked!!!) 3 ambulances arrived one by one within 20 minutes or so. It's good to know that the system works should you need it.!

Last edited by Squawk7700; 21st Mar 2016 at 02:47.