PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions for Manchester People
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2003, 00:29
Spiney Norman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
EGCC Rwy 24.
You're correct in assuming the outer markers have been withdrawn. DME has superceeded the need for them as they are much more accurate 'distance to go' clues than just an audible warning at around 4nms. Most airfields introduced ILS/DME over the last 8 years or so and withdrew their markers. The system also has the added advantage of not requiring a site, for which a rent would need to be paid, off airfield. This also was a reason, (but not the only one), behind the establishment of NDB's on airfield instead of them being co-located with the old outer marker. Thus, no more MCR and ME. Just the MCH. East Midlands is one of the few airfields remaining in the U.K. with the old double NDB system.
NDB's like OLD were intended to provide track guidance for Standard Instrument Departures years ago. Leek was a fan marker to provide en-route airways guidance. All it told you was that you were over it by an audible and visual warning, LYNAS operated similarly for the old airway Blue 1 on the Northern tip of Anglesey. We can laugh at such inaccurate devices now but they were the bees knees around the 1950's! I apologise if I'm telling you what you've already deduced as you're obviously really into this!

Spiney