PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Light Aircraft' missing - Katoomba
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2016, 09:22
Ultralights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
message from Raaus
Accident at Katoomba Airport 27 February 2016

RAAus is saddened to advise members of the death of Mr Rod Hay. Mr Hay died in an accident at Katoomba Airport on 27 February 2016 involving Jabiru 55-3692.

The damage to nearby trees in conjunction with the extensive damage to the propeller and lack of visible external damage to the engine indicates the engine appeared to be operating at impact. To fully examine the engine, RAAus is conducting a supervised engine tear down with officials from ATSB and Jabiru.

The control systems of the aircraft were all confirmed as connected to key points after impact and all damage is consistent with impact damage.

At present our preliminary assessment of the evidence appears to support a possible loss of control with the cause as yet undetermined. RAAus will continue to work with authorities on the investigation and advise members again once we have more information.

I think that this fairly timely and reasonably adequate initial report on a very sad and disturbing occurrence is a sign that RAA has recognised that Members have a genuine need for reasonable advice in the case of serious accidents. The quick response after the Moruya accident was better information than we have had out of RAA for some years and the people in RAA involved are to be thanked, I believe, for this significant improvement in communications.

It has also been a relief that this particular thread has not instantly degenerated into formula 'Jabiru' bashing posts and everybody has been respectful and reticent to assume a position on the initial report.

It is - in my belief - a good step forward that ATSB is involved, so we may get the results of trained, expert accident investigation.

RIP Rod Hay - the type of stalwart of the RAA movement.