PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing the A330 vs the A320
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2016, 00:39
Ajax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm just a gash handler but I find 30 or 40' radio is way too high to start the flare in a 330-200. It does have a big ground effect, as such it's very easy to overcook the flare and then find it has just levelled off at whatever height you flared it, and then you have to dip the nose again and get a big secondary flare and whammo.

I prefer to wait for 20' radio call plus a fraction of a second, GENTLE back pressure and most important go back to your what your PPL instructor told you and LOOK OUT THE WINDOW towards the horizon at the far end of the runway to make sure the damn thing is slowly descending and not levelling off at 10'.

As you get used to it you'll get to know the feeling when ground effect kicks in and at that moment you should just about be able to release the stick back to neutral. It's just finesse after that.

Then as others have said, wait for TWO bumps on the main gear, your hand should be neutral at that moment, and then you may need a final bit of positive back stick to stop the nose gear from crashing down and ruining your beautiful main gear touchdown.

That's my .02 worth on how to get a greaser out of it but do also remember it's tough as an old boot, so if it's gusty or short runway then you can positively drive it just about all the way onto the runway and no harm will be done.