PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Barrow Walney Island Airport ( EGNL)
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 20:02
mrmum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walney

While they are theoretically open to visiting aircraft, as GtE said, it is run purely for the use of the BAeS company King Airs.
I must have tried to go on about a dozen occasions in the last year and actually succeeded maybe a quarter of the times.
The people are nice enough, but organisationally, they will seize on the slightest opportunity to deny permission.
The 24 hour PPR to start with, why they need notified a full day ahead beggars belief, they are possibly the least busy licenced airfield in the country.
Last time I asked they wouldn't accept PPL training flights, nor will they let you use their IAPs.
Other "reasons" for not accepting non-company aircraft we've had include;
RFFS training, but they don't provide it for visitors except on request (see their AIP entry), nor did we need it.
Our ETA/ETD was too close to the company shuttle flights.
They were doing FISO training! You'd think a bit of traffic would be useful for that?
There was something getting launched at the shipyard.
Their ILS was getting calibrated, other airports seem to manage to do this without closing down, even to VFR traffic?
It's really become something of a standing joke when we ring up for PPR, what will today's excuse be??
I would think you've absolutely no chance of a departure outside of operational hours.
I'd also bet they'd not want your aircraft parked there unattended over the weekend.
I think the landing fee was about £15, cash or cheque only, no cards.
Of course, it's their airfield, so they can run it as they wish. I'll be interested to see how you get on though.

Last edited by mrmum; 2nd Mar 2016 at 20:04. Reason: Add cost info