PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown VFR Flight Planning
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2016, 08:22
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To think that you are running around the halls of power sprouting off as though you know everything is a real worry. No wonder "everybody" doesn't do what you and Dick say they should...
Bloggs,
One thing that has been absolutely consistent now for how long?? over 35+ years, is that I (and many others) totally disagree with the inward looking and inflexible "no change" approach of you and your cohort, particularly no change to anything that smacks of the way the US conducts aviation.

To quote an AFAP Technical Director, at an "airspace" meeting, some years ago, now: "I don't care if the Yanks are safer, we are not going to do it here".

Indeed, it was this insular and ignorant attitude (still much in evidence among AU domestic pilots) that resulted in the breakup of the old AFAP and the formation of AIPA, the AFAP domestics adopted a Luddite approach that we, in the then Overseas Branch, would not accept.

We at QF had to live in the real world, not the aviation Galapagos called Australia.

On a more particular level, I well recall you demanding changes to G procedures because: "when I am doing 250 kt in the circuit, GA aeroplanes
are hard to see ----" and my simple answer, slow down. Your retort was that it would cost several minutes. Commercial saving took precedence over good airmanship, ie: applied common sense, apparently, in your outfit. And, as I recall, given the aeroplane you were flying at the time, wondering how close you were to Vno at low level at 250kt, given bird strike limitations of the era.

You conveniently forget that we did have major airspace change in, and it was working well, as judged by independent and unbiased assessment, it was industrial action/pressure that forced its reversal, not operational safety problems. The "famous" "bottom drawer letter".

When it come to credibility, I will back myself against you any time.

Tootle pip!!