PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown VFR Flight Planning
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2016, 07:03
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You stated a few times you wouldn't take part in what you called illegal self separation in Class G.
Arm,
It is clearly beyond your imagination to think that there might be other ways of achieving minimum risk operations around airfields in G, without the "do-it-yourself" ATC that prevails, as a matter of learned habit, without any legal sanction.

Indeed, I would suggest that what happens in practice is (still) non-compliant with CAR 166, and certainly the intent of CAR 166.

The great danger of what does go on (as been picked up in a number of studies, including PCH, Bureau Veritas and Roake Manor Research) among other things, is the false sense of security, that those "participating" are the only aircraft in the area.

It is quite pathetic, some of the indignant reactions I have seen, by Regional crews, when "other traffic" does not get out of their way, or otherwise behave as "directed".

Best example, recently, the PIC of the "other traffic" was a very very senior Commonwealth civil servant, who is also a very experienced aviator, and knows the "rools". Seldom have I seen an "RPT" pilot back down so fast, when he recognised just who he was dealing with, probably from TV news. Suddenly realised it was not some hapless "Blundering Bug Smasher" who could be intimidated by a self-confessed "professional".

Reminds me of a similar occasion, Armidale, the "Weekend Warrior" in the C-152, the target of the "professional", also happened to be a very senior Canberra civil servant and very experienced aviator.

Tootle pip!!