PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown VFR Flight Planning
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2016, 06:03
Lead Balloon

Received 457 Likes on 232 Posts
I think it boils down to the difference between (1) an "air traffic advisory service", and (2) a "flight information service".

My reading of ICAO Annex 11 App 4 is that IFR gets 1 and 2 in F, but IFR only gets 2 in G.

(1) is defined to mean
Air traffic advisory service. A service provided within advisory airspace to ensure separation, in so far as practical, between aircraft which are operating on IFR flight plans.
"advisory airspace" is defined to mean:
Advisory airspace. An airspace of defined dimensions, or designated route, within which air traffic advisory service is available.
(2) is defined to mean:
Flight information service. A service provided for the purpose of giving advice and information useful for the safe and efficient conduct of flights.
AIP GEN 3.3 has provisions about "traffic information service" and "traffic information in Class G".

The details of the traffic information service described in the AIP seem to result in that service being neither completely fish (1) nor completely fowl (2).

But I have to ask the obvious questions: If the intention was that IFR be given, and are in fact being given, an "air traffic advisory service" in accordance with ICAO Class F:

- why isn't it called an "air traffic advisory service" in AIP, and

- why isn't the airspace designated Class F?

My spidey senses say that when something in aviation regulation makes no sense, the answer must be: politics.

For ATC and flight service folks out there, do you consider you are, in fact, providing an "air traffic advisory service", as defined above, to IFR in 'G'. If 'yes', why doesn't AIP simply call it that?