PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Brunei
Thread: Royal Brunei
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2003, 03:00
samf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, Your points are taken...but I don`t think many of You realize, that the tax here is as high as it is! As a captain in one of the largest airlines up here, You get a salary around, say, 10.000 £ (plus pension and insurance), but after tax all thats left is around 3500 £. Yes, a roughly 65% is kept by the government before You even see Your money.
And then You have to pay all Your expenses for living, iwhich also is higher than most other places in the world (VAT on everything is 25%, cars are to be paid 2-3 times due to government fees etc.)
Therefore it could be interesting to make the comparison with the jobs in Brunei, Qatar, Dubai and other places, where it seems the optimism - and expansion lust - is coming back.
I also consider it to be an experience for the family to remember - (its not ALL about money).
In addition to my earlier questions - which haven`t really been answered yet: What about Islamic orders in Brunei - is it okay for the family, or is it quite restricting for the women for example?

Brgds Sam