PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2016, 18:43
tommytailwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Level_FL350
Cullin hard luck, but to echo another post, I also had an email back less than 12 months after and now at this stage...

Eckhard... Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

Sensible assumption that I'm flying Airbus' but not the case. Currently on 2 types, one analogue, one EFIS with mainly that experience. Heavier weight, inertia etc is a factor as well as Boeing knowledge, hence thinking that an hour or two of 757 sim time would be well worth it for several reasons.

Don't want all the good teamwork, decision making, CRM skills built up over the years to be blown away by bad handling due to a lack of experience on heavy Boeings.

Thanks for all the advice.

P.S Re left or right seat in the sim, currently fly from both but probably have a natural handling preference for the left. Any views if this is perceived presumptuous! (I do know they say you can sit in either seat but saying that and how it's percieved could be different!)
Level_FL350, I flew from the left seat in my BA sim check and I'm sure they couldn't care less which seat you're in. From experience, I wouldn't bother paying for a practice sim seasion anywhere either, despite your lack of Boeing time. I did just that a year ago and failed. The feedback was that my rate of improvement in terms of handling was not fast enough throughout the session. Had I not practiced beforehand (I too was non-Boeing rated) I think it may have been a different story.

Fast forward 12 months and I've now passed and have a start date. I certainly didn't bother practicing in a sim this time round and I felt I improved greatly throughout the sim. Hope the advice helps. Learn those pitch & power settings though! They are absolutely essential especially if you're non Boeing rated.