PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How high do you fly?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2016, 18:03
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foxmoth

Unless he was flying one Citation 550 I flew when auto failure was very likely I am sure the autopilot was playing mental games with me and would decide to fail at the most awkward times,

It would go crazy and whether it decided to capture an altitude was hit and miss.

The times you were ready for it the Auto called George would do a perfect capture.

The time you were busy else where it was determined to stick you in it.

George had a nasty trick up his sleeve. He would make a perfect altitude capture and level off and then with a grin on his face wait for you to relax and do something else then he would start creeping up tiny bit by tiny bit so you wouldn't notice.

Try to pass George over to the FO side and the crazy thing went haywire.

Took it to maintenance and rigged up on the ground George behaved perfectly.
So much so I was sure they thought I was exaggerating and it was only when I stuck the engineer in the aircraft on a test flight that George displayed his true colours.

Funnily they never really fixed George after repeated visits to the doctor and you had to live with his funny ways and not trust him one bit There was suspicion that at some time the wiring had been fiddled with in the depths of the old Citation.

But all good for the soul

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 26th Feb 2016 at 19:16.