PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown VFR Flight Planning
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2016, 11:08
le Pingouin

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
They must be guessing some of this stuff, I have never been asked it. What relevance is it anyway? Never have i been asked where I am coming from, my destination is obvious, and I have just provided tracking details.
We do make some of it up as needed - pick a departure point somewhere behind you. The point is we have to enter all those details to get a flight plan flying. The computer says "no" otherwise.

Now I am not shooting the messenger, and I thank you le Pingouin for your detailed response but isn't the system a bit broke if this is a hassle? I perfectly understand if a clearance takes a bit of time and I am told to remain OCTA. I am not being rude here either, but isn't this a part of what you get paid for?
It is part of what I'm paid for but I'm just telling you the way it is - TAAATS has a lot of smarts but it needs to be fed the information to work with. Someone has to feed the elephant with a flight plan.

More than happy to put in a plan if my intent was always to end up at xxx, but this isn't always the case.

I see a bit of thread drift here, but this could well be Williamtown and the clearance request could be changed to "request transit clearance via Nobbies or whatever".
I can't speak about the RAAF system but certainly for TAAATS if you file a plan a delay in receiving a clearance is less likely.