PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown VFR Flight Planning
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2016, 04:27
Aussie Bob

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
"xxx tower, this is aussie bob inbound with details"
"xxx tower, go ahead aussie bob"
"aussie bob, a VFR BL8, approaching (insert VFR waypoint here) at 2500, yours at (time), received atis, request airways clearance"

These days I have to open the flight plan window, type in your callsign, aircraft type (correct ICAO code), departure point, destination, tracking points (all correct codes), level, IFR or VFR and aircraft rego (even if it's the same as your callsign).
They must be guessing some of this stuff, I have never been asked it. What relevance is it anyway? Never have i been asked where I am coming from, my destination is obvious, and I have just provided tracking details.

Now I am not shooting the messenger, and I thank you le Pingouin for your detailed response but isn't the system a bit broke if this is a hassle? I perfectly understand if a clearance takes a bit of time and I am told to remain OCTA. I am not being rude here either, but isn't this a part of what you get paid for?

More than happy to put in a plan if my intent was always to end up at xxx, but this isn't always the case.

I see a bit of thread drift here, but this could well be Williamtown and the clearance request could be changed to "request transit clearance via Nobbies or whatever".